Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Pro8 negative stocks

  1. #21
    jocko
    Guest jocko's Avatar

    Post

    That's the ticket,over 1/2 to 1 stop and the grain tightens up..I shoot the neg stock alot..and they come out looking great..It's expensive..but IMHO, worth it..but when you shoot K-40 follow matts advice..cause he gets that kodachrome to shine!.try the 50D stock it looks great.and also the 100T

    Neil
    Jocko Films

    ------------------

  2. #22
    Ronson
    Guest Ronson's Avatar

    Post

    Jocko: "...but when you shoot K-40 follow matts advice..."

    Matt, can you elaborate?

    Those color negs stocks, especially the Vision series, have a ton of latitude... you could probably over-expose by 3 full stops and be perfectly safe (and no grain, to boot!).

    But I haven't shot K-40 in a very long time. Since it's a reversal, I know my latitude is not-so-much, but can you offer up some more specific -- or even general -- guidelines for maximizing the exposure on K-40?

    Mucho thanks!

    ------------------

  3. #23
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ronson:
    Jocko: "...but when you shoot K-40 follow matts advice..."

    Matt, can you elaborate?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Yeah, you do just the opposite: underexpose 1/2 to a full stop.

    And light a little flat, because of the limited lattitude, BUT, if you are going to err, err on the dark side.
    In other words, K-40 does not handle hot highlights well at all, but it will render detail into the shadows like you wouldn't believe. And it doesn't get grainier when underexposed either. (Ektachrome does seem to, though.)
    But highlights blown out, is what makes it look really over contrasty, and home-movie-ish, and this is what so many guys do, and that's why more people don't really appreciate the beauty of K-40 on S8. They dont' know how to use it.

    They just walk out on a sunny day, and start shooting with the camera on "auto" or they don't underexpose, or compensate in any way.

    So they're trying to take a film stock with something like 3 or 4 stops latittued, and they're pointing the camera at 8 stops of contrast, and the highlights just burn out like mad, and the scene looks like Uncle Joe's home movies from 1962.

    If anything, I actually try to shoot in the shade! Maybe bounce some light in there, but just try to control the highlights, that's the biggest problem.

    So underexpose, keep hot highlights out of the picture, and there ya are!
    I'll email you a sample frame or two, if you want to see what I'm talking about.
    (I'm having trouble with my web hosting, so I can't post a link...)

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  4. #24
    Ronson
    Guest Ronson's Avatar

    Post

    Matt: "I'll email you a sample frame or two, if you want to see what I'm talking about."

    That would be great, thanks!

    What f-stop do you generally try to expose K-40 at, before you stop down one full stop?


    ------------------

  5. #25
    Ronson
    Guest Ronson's Avatar

    Post

    Matt: "I'll email you a sample frame or two, if you want to see what I'm talking about."

    That would be great, thanks!

    What f-stop do you generally try to expose K-40 at, before you stop down one full stop?


    ------------------

  6. #26
    Mikael Sundström
    Guest Mikael Sundström's Avatar

    Smile

    Hey Matt, do you mind sending me copy aswell?
    A would be real happy. smile

    I really need to learn how to get my K40 exposure right...

    Thanks in advance

    ------------------
    Mikael Sundstr?m

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •